DIRECT VISION STANDARD DVS - HGV safety permit guidance - For operators entering London
Check your Vehicle Star Rating
HGV SAFETY PERMIT REQUIREMENTS
FROM 26 OCTOBER 2020 FOR OPERATORS ENTERING LONDON
Vehicle star rating requirement
All vehicles shall obtain a star rating under the Direct Vision Standard (DVS) system. Every vehicle must meet a minimum DVS star rating of one star, unless exempt from the scheme.
To ensure a minimum standard of a driver’s direct field of view and reduce the risk of close-proximity blind spot collisions.
The rating shall be determined by the vehicle’s manufacturer using the approved HGV DVS technical protocol.
• Where this rating is one star or above, fleet operators will be able to apply for a safety permit with no further
mandatory action required
• Where this rating is zero star the vehicle shall be fitted with mitigating safety features as outlined on the next page
Operators must be able to demonstrate compliance with these requirements when applying for the safety permit.
OVERVIEW OF SAFE SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
FOR ZERO STAR-RATED VEHICLES:
1. Class V mirror shall be fitted to the nearside of the vehicle
2. Class VI mirror shall be fitted to the front of the vehicle
3. Side under-run protection shall be fitted to both sides of the vehicle (except where this is impractical or proves to be impossible)
4. External pictorial stickers and markings shall be displayed on vehicles to warn vulnerable road users of the hazards around the vehicle
5. A sensor system that alerts the driver to the presence of a vulnerable road user shall be fitted to the nearside of the vehicle
6. Audible vehicle manoeuvring warning shall be fitted to warn vulnerable road users when a vehicle is turning left
7. A fully operational camera monitoring system shall be fitted to the nearside of the vehicle
HGV collisions with people walking and cycling present a significant problem. The introduction of a Safe System as part of the HGV safety permit scheme serves as a mitigation to enhance vehicle safety on London’s roads today, until the more fundamental change of increased direct vision is achieved.
Recommended specification for higher star-rated vehicles
Operators of vehicles rated at one star or above are also encouraged to voluntarily fit supplementary safety features.
The Safe System is scheduled to be reviewed in 2024, when it is proposed the minimum DVS star rating will be increased to three stars.
FORS reinforces that vehicles should go beyond the current minimum requirements with their Gold Standard Recommended Kit which includes: Infrared Side Camera | Reversing Alarm | Reverse Camera | Forward Facing HD Camera | Infrared off side Camera | Video Telematics Recorder | 1TB Hard Drive | Live Viewing | Remote footage retrieval.
Guardian can provide all the additional safety features recommended by FORS, please contact your local distributor or contact 01202 870860 for guidance and technical support.
Kit Breakdown Below - Click any image to view the individual product